Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Support for serial port IO?

A general discussion forum.

Support for serial port IO?

Postby pkcinna » 17 May 2010, 19:52

Does POCO provide any support for reading USB or serial ports?

Sorry if this was previously posted... thought I posted this question last week but couldn't find it. I'm a new user so figured Ididn't submit it right.
pkcinna

Re: Support for serial port IO?

Postby guenter » 17 May 2010, 20:02

There's some support for the serial port in the IO library in the sandbox. AFAIK it has only been tested on Windows, but some Linux/Unix code is in there as well. Alex can probably tell you more.
guenter

Postby pkcinna » 17 May 2010, 20:47

Looks interesting (and promising).

The POCO wiki shows there will be an 1.4 release and then 2.0 will formally include the new IO namespaces correct? Is 2.0 planned for 2011? Any comments on the stability of the SerialChannel class and Serial namespace in the sandbox as far as people using it in a production environment?
pkcinna

Postby alex » 21 May 2010, 02:23

pkcinna wrote:Is 2.0 planned for 2011? Any comments on the stability of the SerialChannel class and Serial namespace in the sandbox as far as people using it in a production environment?

Serial works well on windows. POSIX I think compiles but it was not tested at all.
alex

Postby mgraine » 13 Mar 2013, 07:46

Hello,

I am new to poco, and would want to use it in my current project, excited to use it.

In the sandbox repo in github, i noticed that there is a DeviceIO package for the serial-IO,

can i confirm that this is the package that i should be using ?

also, would this work in Mac OSX ?

lastly, are there any issues for the DeviceIO package that we may need to be aware of?

Thank You.
mgraine

Postby mgraine » 18 Mar 2013, 05:40

Hello,

Are we suppose to test in the sandbox the DeviceIO instead of the IO packages?

May i know what is the current status for the DeviceIO (serial) package?

When I tried to compile the Serial project (sandbox\DeviceIO\Serial) with poco 1.4.6, i am getting this error in the 'TestSuite' project with visual studio 2008...

Also, what poco version should I try to build the sandbox projects to resolve the problem.

TIA

################################################

1>------ Build started: Project: TestSuite, Configuration: debug_shared Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
1>SerialTestHW.cpp
1>e:\poco-1.4.6\sandbox\deviceio\serial\testsuite\src\serialtesthw.cpp(131) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 0 arguments
1> class does not define an 'operator()' or a user defined conversion operator to a pointer-to-function or reference-to-function that takes appropriate number of arguments
1>e:\poco-1.4.6\sandbox\deviceio\serial\testsuite\src\serialtesthw.cpp(131) : error C2248: 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>::ActiveResult' : cannot access private member declared in class 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>'
1> with
1> [
1> RT=std::string
1> ]
1> e:\poco-1.4.6\foundation\include\poco\activeresult.h(388) : see declaration of 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>::ActiveResult'
1> with
1> [
1> ]
1>SerialTestSW.cpp
1>e:\poco-1.4.6\sandbox\deviceio\serial\testsuite\src\serialtestsw.cpp(118) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 0 arguments
1> class does not define an 'operator()' or a user defined conversion operator to a pointer-to-function or reference-to-function that takes appropriate number of arguments
1>e:\poco-1.4.6\sandbox\deviceio\serial\testsuite\src\serialtestsw.cpp(118) : error C2248: 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>::ActiveResult' : cannot access private member declared in class 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>'
1> with
1> [
1> ]
1> e:\poco-1.4.6\foundation\include\poco\activeresult.h(388) : see declaration of 'Poco::ActiveResult<RT>::ActiveResult'
1> with
1> [
1> ]
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\poco-1.4.6\sandbox\DeviceIO\Serial\testsuite\obj\debug_shared\BuildLog.htm"
1>TestSuite - 4 error(s), 1 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
mgraine

Return to General Discussion