Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Poco and Databases

A general discussion forum.

Poco and Databases

Postby evstevemd » 24 Jun 2010, 08:02

Hi All,
I'm new here and have long been looking for stable Multidatabase library at production level. I read boost with no DB and then I found Poco. I have no Idea if POCO DB support is strong like JDBC. You guys help me on this. Is there any Software (Not amateur project) that have successfully used POCO database support? Also I wonder what POCO offers above Standard C++/STL that can be used in daily C++ programming?

Thanks,
Stefano :D
evstevemd

Re: Poco and Databases

Postby evstevemd » 28 Jun 2010, 10:47

Is this a dead forum or I have posted in wrong place? :D
evstevemd

Postby aderouineau » 28 Jun 2010, 13:06

There are unfortunately not a lot of participants.

If you want to look at some stuff that's provided, you can read the wiki or the API reference. In general, POCO's goal is to provide an easy-to-use API that also happens to be multi-platform; Thread, ThreadPool, Event, Notification, Reactor are some of the nice advanced classes that make POCO very powerful.

As for the database, POCO provides native support for MySQL and SQLite. To access the other databases POCO can use ODBC.

If you want an alternative, there is OpenDBX (http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX). It gives native access to many backends. Windows support is done through Cygwin and MinGW.

Hope that helps and welcome to the community ! If you want to contribute (which would be great), you can check out the SVN and sandbox.
aderouineau

Postby evstevemd » 29 Jun 2010, 06:48

Thanks aderouineau,
I need for now MySQL but I wanted Other backends like oracle, PGS, et al.
I will go for POCO and ODBC. I will check also OpenDBX.

Last Question on this is, does POCO handle cross platform File and directory handling?
I will be checking manual to see that but if anybody is near, drop me a link :D

I'm not maverick at C++ so I don't think I'm fit. I am just intermediate C++ programmer :)
evstevemd

Postby evstevemd » 29 Jun 2010, 07:05

I got it from features:

Features

* threads, thread synchronization and advanced abstractions for multithreaded programming
* streams and filesystem access
* shared libraries and class loading
* powerful logging and error reporting
* security and encryption
* network programming (TCP/IP sockets, HTTP client and HTTP server, FTP, SMTP, POP3, etc.)
* XML parsing (SAX2 and DOM) and generation
* configuration file and options handling
* SQL database access (ODBC, MySQL, SQLite)
evstevemd

Postby aderouineau » 29 Jun 2010, 15:32

The disadvantage to using ODBC is that it adds a rather large layer and another thing to configure (ODBC "portal").
aderouineau

Postby evstevemd » 30 Jun 2010, 10:27

So you mean It does monolithic library? The whole PGS/MySQL/FireBird et al are there even if you dont use them? what do you really mean?
evstevemd

Return to General Discussion