Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Does Poco support static linked OpenSSL for HTTPS?

A general discussion forum.

Does Poco support static linked OpenSSL for HTTPS?

Postby SalvorHardin » 01 Dec 2010, 00:53

There was another framework (not Poco) that required 2 OpenSSL .DLLs to be deployed with our .exe file.

With Poco and Visual C++ 2008, can we create single .exe that supports HTTPS without requiring any extra DLLs to deploy?

I hope to try this as soon as my dev box finishes getting upgraded, but it would be nice to know before I start.

I didn't see this mentioned in the docs.
SalvorHardin

Re: Does Poco support static linked OpenSSL for HTTPS?

Postby guenter » 10 Dec 2010, 21:48

Haven't tested it yet, but I see no reason why POCO shouldn't work with static OpenSSL libraries. You'll have to change the project files to reference the appropriate libs, then it should work. Of course you'll also have to build static OpenSSL libs yourself, or use the readilly built libs from Shining Light productions. If I remember correctly (I'm not on a Windows system currently to check) they include static libs as well.
guenter

Re: Does Poco support static linked OpenSSL for HTTPS?

Postby SalvorHardin » 11 Dec 2010, 17:52

Thanks, I'll try this with Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and OpenSSL 1.0.0c. Both 32-bit and 64-bit once the project files are updated.

At first glance, it seems there shouldn't be any problems -- seems the question arose out of using a less well-designed framework that had embedded "loadlibrary" calls for openssl. Poco of course doesn't do such things :)
SalvorHardin

Return to General Discussion