Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Awesomeness

Praise, success stories and a list of organizations using the POCO C++ Libraries.

Awesomeness

Postby codecandy2k » 03 Dec 2011, 20:00

Thanks for making such a fantastic suite of libraries and not neutering them with a GNU license.

After using Poco for a while, I've started to do the unthinkable: stop using Boost. Boost is a great set of libraries, but let's face it, unless you happen to be a member of the C++ standards committee, the code is nearly incomprehensible, and if you use it a lot your own code will quickly suffer the same fate. Poco has been a real pleasure to work with from a user perspective. So now if I need some functionality, and that functionality is exposed by Poco, I will use Poco almost every time. The only Boost library I really use any more is Spirit for those cases where regular expressions just don't cut it.

I've also mostly eliminated another monstrosity (ACE) from most of my networking projects, thanks to Poco Reactor.

I HAVE found some things that are not quite as mature as I'd like, particularly when it comes to the stream/buffer classes, but the code is so clean that making the changes that I need is easy as can be. The few times I tried to make changes to Boost libraries, I wanted to end it all. I'm going to look into making some contributions of the changes and additions that I've made.

Cheers
codecandy2k

Re: Awesomeness

Postby rakesh » 05 Dec 2011, 05:15

Same here. I also prefer the Poco documentation to the boost documentation. Boost documentation concentrates on explaining the implementation rather than usage.
rakesh

Re: Awesomeness

Postby Dabos » 31 Jan 2012, 12:51

another good reason is that my antivirus takes 50 minutes to scan boost. only 30 seconds to scan Poco :) Poco is very OO oriented and reusable and lightweight. :-*
Dabos

Return to Known Users, Praise and Success Stories