Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Building on Windows but WITHOUT VS

Please post support and help requests here.

Building on Windows but WITHOUT VS

Postby petrux » 18 Sep 2007, 10:57

Hi there,

I could build and use the POCO library on Linux (Debian Etch) using the Makefile shipped within the POCO package. Im' trying to do the same on Windows. As I use the MinGW building environment and the POCO documentation only refers to VisualStudio I ask: is it possible to build the POCO library under Windows but __without__ VisualStudio? Did anybody ever make it?
Or - as an alternative - is it possible to build with VisualStudio and then "convert" the output library files into MinGW comatible library files?

Thanks in advance,

petrux
petrux

Re: Building on Windows but WITHOUT VS

Postby phireis » 03 Oct 2007, 01:49

> Hi there,
>
> I could build and use the POCO library on Linux (Debian Etch) using the Makefile shipped within the POCO package. Im' trying to do the same on Windows. As I use the MinGW building environment and the POCO documentation only refers to VisualStudio I ask: is it possible to build the POCO library under Windows but __without__ VisualStudio? Did anybody ever make it?
> Or - as an alternative - is it possible to build with VisualStudio and then "convert" the output library files into MinGW comatible library files?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> petrux

The last Poco I could build on MinGW was 1.2.9, but it needed some things I have to do, there's is a topic in this forum (named MINGW build problems, in the last pages) where somebody helped me build on MinGW.
I didnt tested with Poco 1.3.0 anymore on Mingw since I got very strange compilation errors.

Good luck.

Philipe
phireis

Re: Building on Windows but WITHOUT VS

Postby devcjohnson » 04 Oct 2007, 05:49

> I could build and use the POCO library on Linux (Debian Etch) using the Makefile shipped within the POCO package. Im' trying to do the same on Windows. As I use the MinGW building environment and the POCO documentation only refers to VisualStudio I ask: is it possible to build the POCO library under Windows but __without__ VisualStudio? Did anybody ever make it?
> Or - as an alternative - is it possible to build with VisualStudio and then "convert" the output library files into MinGW comatible library files?

As Philipe pointed out there is a thread on the last pages of this forum that cover building Poco with MinGW. It takes some tweaking but it can be done as I have just done it recently with the latest sources using both MinGW and Cygwin. The thread mentioned captures the gist of things leaving out a few minor kinks that need to be dealt with appropriately.

I hesitate to post the following without verifying my facts. This disclaimer stated when you ask to build under Windows but "__without__ VisualStudio?" I am assuming you mean using something like VisualStudio Express edition? Cygwin is supported as is VisualStudio but a lesser known fact about the Express edition is that you can use the command "msbuild" instead of devenv which does not come with VisualStudio Express last time I checked. Perhaps this information may be of use? An example from the command line is to do the following with VisualStudio:

%POCO_ROOT%Foundation>devenv Foundation_vs71.sln /rebuild release_static

Where with the VisualStudio Express edition you would do:

%POCO_ROOT%Foundation>msbuild Foundation_vs80.sln /p:Configuration=release_static

Of course this is after running %VSXXCOMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat from the command line (Where XX denotes the version of the day from Microsoft latest offerings). Do keep in mind that each of the component directories in $POCO_ROOT has a build_vsXX.cmd that you can modify to suit your actual environment in these scenarios rather than doing each one manually...

I am currently in between work and home so I can't test the advice I have given and it is all done by memory. This caveat aside if the information in this post is relevant to your situation then it should be enough to get you moving in the right direction. Hopefully others will correct any mistakes I might have made.
devcjohnson

Return to Support