Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Compilation Problem

Please post support and help requests here.

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Compilation Problem

Postby codernem » 12 Mar 2008, 16:26

Hi all, I'm new on this forum (really thx to Guenter for setting up an account for me).

I'm trying to compile Poco on Windows XP using VC++ Express Edition 2005 and MS Platform SDK.

I downloaded Poco-1.3.2 zip file, extract it in D: , downloaded VSExpress.zip, and extracted properly in poco-1.3.2 directory.

If I open Visual Studio command prompt and execute build_vs80.cmd, compilation fail because:

"devenv" non è riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno, un programma eseguibile o un file batch.

(in english: "devenv" cannot be found ... )

So I opened the VC++ Express Solution file for Foundation module (shipped with VSExpress.zip), properly set Platform SDK location and start a build.

Compiler couldn't find 4 files:

1>Generating Code...
1>Compiling...
1>get.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '.srcget.c': No such file or directory
1>maketables.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '.srcmaketables.c': No such file or directory
1>pcre.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '.srcpcre.c': No such file or directory
1>study.c
1>c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '.srcstudy.c': No such file or directory

I have no clues about them... someone has some?

Thanks for help and sorry for my poor English.

Dario
codernem

Re: Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Compilation Problem

Postby guenter » 12 Mar 2008, 18:07

Dario,

you'll probably have to update the VS Express project file, as it has been made for an older release of POCO. Specifically, in a recent release, PCRE (the regular expression package POCO uses) has been updated, and the source file names have changed. So, remove all the old PCRE files (get.c, maketables.c, etc.) and add the new PCRE source files (pcre_*.c) instead.

Günter
guenter

Postby codernem » 12 Mar 2008, 18:56

Thanks for help, guenter.

I managed to compile all things: some new files are missing in the old ExpressEdition C++ project file.

If you want I can send you the updated .sln project files. Just drop a line here.

Cheers, and thanks again

PS: I have a couple of question about FileStream and platform related files...but in this thread is OT :)
codernem

Re: Re: Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Compilation Problem

Postby alex » 12 Mar 2008, 20:32

> If you want I can send you the updated .sln project files. Just drop a line here.

Thanks for the offer, but the real problem is much deeper than that. We have three VS versions currently supported, which by itself is a nightmare. I think we should definitely get rid of separate VS Express solution files - regular solution files work fine with VS Express. The only problem is that the testsuites can not be built because Express comes without MFC. To alleviate that, we should provide command line testsuite version as an alternative. Obviously, this requires some work, but it is the right way to approach this problem long term (rather than short one, which you've got bitten by).

The bottom line is - we need a serious and dedicated volunteer to take the ownership of the overall windows build system, maintain it and keep it up to date.

Alex
alex

Postby rekkai » 14 Mar 2008, 04:50

>> We have three VS versions currently supported, which by itself is a nightmare

For what it is worth, you might consider only shipping a VS version like 7.0 (or even 6.0) and letting the other VS users auto convert to their version when they want to build POCO. This way you only need to maintain one VS project file.

I have generally found that the VS import wizard works pretty well for most cases.

rekkai

Return to Support