Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Compiling Poco, on Code::Blocks?

Please post support and help requests here.

Compiling Poco, on Code::Blocks?

Postby Jowee » 13 Jul 2008, 14:02

Hi guys!

I'm pleased with Poco, it's just so natural and easy programming!
So I decided to compile at home, the thing is I don't have Visual Studio and I don't want it, seriously. I'm more than happy with Code::Blocks so I'd like to keep it.

Anybody would like to try to help me on this one, my C:B uses mingw so I think it's compatible.
Where to start?

Thanks and bare with me for my poor english.
Jowee

Re: Compiling Poco, on Code::Blocks?

Postby alex » 13 Jul 2008, 16:00

> Anybody would like to try to help me on this one, my C:B uses mingw so I think it's compatible.
> Where to start?

I guess you have to create Code::Blocks project files. Releases, AFAIK, do not compile with MinGW without tweaking. Subversion 1.3.3 and trunk code should compile on MinGW, although not all features are available. Chris Johnson (devcjohnson) would be able to provide more info.

Alex

P.S. VS Express is free, comes with a good compiler and builds POCO out-of-the box. Unless someone steps in (maybe you are willing?), the likelihood of us supporting Code::Blocks is slim. At any rate, IMO, the only feasible path thereof would be the use of premake or some similar tool to target all the supported IDES. But even that would require a maintenance commitment.
alex

Postby Jowee » 13 Jul 2008, 17:34

Hi, thanks for your reply.
THe things is I'm not that good with the structure of compiling Poco, when in the poco folder, what do I have to "make" first, I looked at the buildscripts and they call devenv, what is it?

I downloaded Express (2008) to build Poco and it didn't work, first there's no scripts to build everything with VS 9.0 and when I try the other scripts it doesn't find devenv.

Plus I know nothing of the VS compiler, I can't do it at hand! I thing I need a little help (:lol:)
I wouldn't mind trying Visual Studio but I'd rather program on C::B and if I find a way i could give you my project files.

Jowee

Re: Re: Compiling Poco, on Code::Blocks?

Postby alex » 13 Jul 2008, 18:07

Hi, thanks for your reply.
You are welcome.
THe things is I'm not that good with the structure of compiling Poco, when in the poco folder, what do I have to "make" first, I looked at the buildscripts and they call devenv, what is it?
It is __dev__elopment __env__ironment (a.k.a. Visual Studio). Google answers it quickly.

I downloaded Express (2008) to build Poco and it didn't work, first there's no scripts to build everything with VS 9.0 and when I try the other scripts it doesn't find devenv.

To compile successfully, you obviously have to have the executable in the path and other VS environment variables setup properly. Visual Studio normally comes with a command line prompt properly set up with all these things. As for VS 90, at the time of last POCO release, VS 90 was not released yet, so it would be unreasonable to expect projects for it to be available there. They are, however, available for the SVN trunk code.

Plus I know nothing of the VS compiler, I can't do it at hand! I thing I need a little help

We may be of some help, but a MS compiler forum or newsgroup would probably be a better place for that.

I wouldn't mind trying Visual Studio but I'd rather program on C::B and if I find a way i could give you my project files.

Sure, we would definitely welcome such a contribution. However, bear in mind that project files are constantly moving target and including them in the official release without (a) someone taking responsibility for maintenance or (b) someone providing automatic generation thereof, is not likely to happen because it is counter-productive.
alex

Postby Jowee » 13 Jul 2008, 18:17

''To compile successfully, you obviously have to have the executable in the path and other VS environment variables setup properly."
I know that, I used VS command line to run the scripts but it didn't work better.
Where is this devenv so I can put it in my Path?
Jowee

Re: Re: Compiling Poco, on Code::Blocks?

Postby Jowee » 19 Jul 2008, 02:18

> ''To compile successfully, you obviously have to have the executable in the path and other VS environment variables setup properly."
> I know that, I used VS command line to run the scripts but it didn't work better.
> Where is this devenv so I can put it in my Path?

Nobody has the same error than me? Can't find devenv? (:rolleyes:)
Jowee

Postby Gregoire » 04 Dec 2008, 12:12

I compiled Poco in Code::Blocks (with gcc): I just had to import VS project file.

Note : The resulting static lib for Foundation is 4Mo but it is only 2Mo when i compile it with :
Code: Select all

./configure --config=MinGw
make Foundation-libexec

I guess compile flags are differents...
Gregoire

Return to Support