Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

POCO Zip and WinZip

Please post support and help requests here.

POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby DougE » 28 Oct 2008, 00:56

I'm playing around with the zip stuff in 1.3.3. I created a zip file, copied it and unzipped it. The unzipped files were what I expected. However, when I tried to extract the files using WinZip it failed on some of the files.

I was just wondering if it should work. It would be convenient but not required for what I want to use it for.

Thanks,
Doug
DougE

Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby peter » 28 Oct 2008, 09:15

> I'm playing around with the zip stuff in 1.3.3. I created a zip file, copied it and unzipped it. The unzipped files were what I expected. However, when I tried to extract the files using WinZip it failed on some of the files.
>
> I was just wondering if it should work. It would be convenient but not required for what I want to use it for.

Well,
if we create an archive, Winzip should be able to decompress it. Which error message do you get? Do you get it also with other decompressors (like the one from http://www.7-zip.org)?

>
> Thanks,
> Doug
peter

Re: Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby DougE » 28 Oct 2008, 15:34

Here's the scoop.

I made several tests to make sure it wasn't my fault. Then I tried unzipping using 7-Zip. It worked. Hmmm... So I updated my Winzip to 10.7245 and tried again. It failed again. But this time, I noticed that the files that are failing are zero length. So I tried zipping/unzipping the same group of files using WinZip and that worked. I also tried zipping with 7-Zip and unzipping with WinZip and that worked.

The error message from WinZip is: "Error: invalid compressed data to inflate"

Summary of tests:

Zip with POCO - Unzip with POCO - OK
Zip with POCO - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
Zip with POCO - Unzip with WinZip - FAIL on zero length files

Zip with WinZip - Unzip with WinZip - OK
Zip with WinZip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
Zip with WinZip - Unzip with POCO - OK

Zip with 7-Zip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
Zip with 7-Zip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK

Thanks,
Doug
DougE

Re: Re: Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby peter » 28 Oct 2008, 16:40

> Here's the scoop.
>
> I made several tests to make sure it wasn't my fault. Then I tried unzipping using 7-Zip. It worked. Hmmm... So I updated my Winzip to 10.7245 and tried again. It failed again. But this time, I noticed that the files that are failing are zero length. So I tried zipping/unzipping the same group of files using WinZip and that worked. I also tried zipping with 7-Zip and unzipping with WinZip and that worked.
>
> The error message from WinZip is: "Error: invalid compressed data to inflate"
>
> Summary of tests:
>
> Zip with POCO - Unzip with POCO - OK
> Zip with POCO - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
> Zip with POCO - Unzip with WinZip - FAIL on zero length files
>
> Zip with WinZip - Unzip with WinZip - OK
> Zip with WinZip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
> Zip with WinZip - Unzip with POCO - OK
>
> Zip with 7-Zip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK
> Zip with 7-Zip - Unzip with 7-Zip - OK

Thx for the info.

I believe that zero sized compressed files are valid in the zip standard but it doesn't really make sense to compress zero-sized files.

So please sync to the latest svn version in the trunk. Zero sized files are no longer compressed.

Thanks,

Peter
>
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
peter

Re: Re: Re: Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby alex » 28 Oct 2008, 21:16

> So please sync to the latest svn version in the trunk. Zero sized files are no longer compressed.

Actually you have fixed it in the sandbox. Maybe moving Zip from sandbox to the trunk would be a proper thing to do?

Alex
alex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby peter » 30 Oct 2008, 09:51

> > So please sync to the latest svn version in the trunk. Zero sized files are no longer compressed.
>
> Actually you have fixed it in the sandbox. Maybe moving Zip from sandbox to the trunk would be a proper thing to do?
>
> Alex
Yes
the sandbox it is.

I agree. We should move Zip to the trunk (and Crypto too).

Peter
peter

Re: POCO Zip and WinZip

Postby peter » 31 Oct 2008, 14:16

> I'm playing around with the zip stuff in 1.3.3. I created a zip file, copied it and unzipped it. The unzipped files were what I expected. However, when I tried to extract the files using WinZip it failed on some of the files.
>
> I was just wondering if it should work. It would be convenient but not required for what I want to use it for.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

I moved Zip to trunk. The version contains the fix you need. sandbox version of Zip no longer exists.

peter

Return to Support