Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Windows x64 support

Please post support and help requests here.

Windows x64 support

Postby dsrmac » 12 Jan 2009, 15:52

Greetings,

I just found the Poco framework while browsing the web for portable c++ frameworks, and by the first impressions and trials it looks just like what I need.

For a project, I need Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows support in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. Now I saw the changelog mentioning better WIN64 support, and spotted several places in the sources where WIN64 architecture is handled, but the Visual C++ project files contain no x64 build configuration.

Thus I'd like to ask what the state of Win64 support is? Can I just build it with x64 compilers and Poco will work?

With kind regards,
Daniel
dsrmac

Re: Windows x64 support

Postby alex » 12 Jan 2009, 17:10

dsrmac wrote:Thus I'd like to ask what the state of Win64 support is? Can I just build it with x64 compilers and Poco will work?

AFAIK, there is no official support for 64-bit Windows. It should work and we'd be curious to learn about your experience. Additionally, if you could contribute the project configurations and any potential patches that you may have, that would be great.
alex

Postby dsrmac » 12 Jan 2009, 17:42

alex wrote:Additionally, if you could contribute the project configurations and any potential patches that you may have, that would be great.

Going to do that. My team already has started to convert our project from ACE to Poco, thus I'll be in charge for the 64-bit parts. :geek:
dsrmac

Postby guenter » 12 Jan 2009, 19:34

It should be a matter of cloning the 32-bit configurations, changing the appropriate setting and recompiling. Some time ago I successfully built for Windows 64-bit, but that was with the Intel compiler. Almost all of the code has been compiled with the "detect 64-bit compatibility issues" flag of the VC++ compiler. On Unix platforms, the code is generally 64-bit clean.
guenter

Postby Protogenes » 29 Sep 2009, 17:20

Hi guys, I just found that project and began to wonder...
Any new experiences on this topic? I just compiled the library v1.3.5 with VS2008SP1 x64 compiler (using Windows SDK v7.0) and got many warnings of conversions to smaller integer types. Especially in cases of using int in places where size_t should be used at first glance.
In my opinion 64bit compatibility is a very important feature to such a project. (And it is a feature I need at least ;-) )
Protogenes

P.S. any IRC channel on freenode or somewhere?
Protogenes

Return to Support