Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Just starting out

Please post support and help requests here.

Just starting out

Postby x86 » 09 Feb 2009, 18:18

I'm trying to get up and running in order to try out some of the features provided - I've installed the following version of Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5 SP1

When I try to run the build_vs80 script to build POCO, I Just get a bunch of errors about not being to find devenv.exe - which I believe isn't the executable for this edition.

Can I use POCO with this version - or should I try an earlier edition?

Thanks in advance for the help!
x86

Re: Just starting out

Postby alex » 09 Feb 2009, 18:51

x86 wrote:When I try to run the build_vs80 script to build POCO, I Just get a bunch of errors about not being to find devenv.exe - which I believe isn't the executable for this edition.

Since you are using VS 2008, which is version 9.0, build_vs90 is the script to use (or buildwin.cmd with appropriate arguments supplied and components file containing the libraries you wish to build). But even that won't work unless you are running it in a command prompt that is aware of all the pertinent environment variable and path settings needed for a MSVS build. Typically, the said command prompt shortcut can be found in the Start => Programs => Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 => Visual Studio Tools menu.

x86 wrote:Can I use POCO with this version - or should I try an earlier edition?

As mentioned above - you can use it with MSVS 2008 version. I do, however, recommend that you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the build tool of your choice and it's requirements.
alex

Re: Just starting out

Postby slavo5150 » 18 Jul 2009, 15:45

If you are running Visual Studio 2008 Express, replace devenv with VCExpress in the file buildwin.cmd.
slavo5150

Return to Support