Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

License

Please post support and help requests here.

License

Postby frankmail007 » 16 Mar 2009, 18:28

This is my first post to this forum. I'm going to develop an commercial application. I'd like to use some modified source code of POCO library. Is it allowed? Should I submit the modified source code to POCO? Should I include POCO license somewhere in my binary?

Thanks for advance,

Frank
frankmail007

Re: License

Postby guenter » 16 Mar 2009, 20:42

Our license does not require you to give your local modifications to POCO back to us. Nevertheless, if you create cool new features or bug fixes, we'd appreciate if you could contribute them. You are not required to include the POCO license in your binary. However, if you ship any source code that includes the POCO sources to your customers, then you also must include the license in your distribution.

In any case it would be nice if you could add a link to your application or company to our WhoUsesPoco (http://pocoproject.org/wiki/index.php/WhoUsesPoco) page.
guenter

Postby frankmail007 » 17 Mar 2009, 04:19

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Actually my application is running in iPhone, that's why I don't want to link whole POCO library to it. Instead I may only use a few features such as thread, timer etc so that I can write my application mainly in C++ and make it more portable. I'll add a link to WhoUsesPoco once my application is in App Store.

Thanks again,

Frank
frankmail007

Postby alex » 17 Mar 2009, 10:58

frankmail007 wrote:Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Actually my application is running in iPhone, that's why I don't want to link whole POCO library to it. Instead I may only use a few features such as thread, timer etc so that I can write my application mainly in C++ and make it more portable.

This is interesting. I was thinking once that it would be desirable to put forth some effort into #ifdef-ing chunks of POCO so whole "packages" could be excluded (e.g. POCO_USE_THREADING, POCO_USE_LOGGING, POCO_USE_DATETIME etc) and capability for overall library size reduction added. Of course, there's a certain amount of cross-package coupling, so this could be a substantial effort. I never looked into what it would actually take to do it and how much sense would it make, but since you have the itch, would you be willing to look into doing something along those lines and contribute it back to the project?
alex

Postby guenter » 17 Mar 2009, 16:21

Actually, if you are linking statically (which makes absolute sense on smaller systems only running one application, like typical embedded systems and the iPhone), then this takes care of removing all the unneeded stuff. 1.3.4 will also have some compile options to remove some dependencies (e.g., the Util dependency on XML and certain logging channels). Otherwise, I guess we're pretty good at keeping things modular.

And speaking of the iPhone: I have successfully managed to build POCO for the iPhone - the hard thing was getting compiler and linker flags right. Build configuration will be in 1.3.4.
guenter

Postby frankmail007 » 22 Dec 2009, 05:18

guenter wrote:Actually, if you are linking statically (which makes absolute sense on smaller systems only running one application, like typical embedded systems and the iPhone), then this takes care of removing all the unneeded stuff. 1.3.4 will also have some compile options to remove some dependencies (e.g., the Util dependency on XML and certain logging channels). Otherwise, I guess we're pretty good at keeping things modular.

And speaking of the iPhone: I have successfully managed to build POCO for the iPhone - the hard thing was getting compiler and linker flags right. Build configuration will be in 1.3.4.

It seems that I'm the only one using Poco C++ library in iPhone. What a pity. Poco is such a elegant portable library.

But currently I encounter some problems during linking Poco C++ to my iPhone Xcode project. Here is my problem:http://pocoproject.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1489.

Maybe I don't set linker flags correctly.Can you give me a hint what I should do in my Xcode project? Thanks
frankmail007

Return to Support