Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

visual studio 2012 express for windows desktop

Please post support and help requests here.

visual studio 2012 express for windows desktop

Postby wouter » 18 Oct 2012, 13:19

Hello,

Is it possible to compile and use poco with visual studio 2012 express for windows desktop? I'm running into some problems and before I waste too much time I want to know if I'm fighting a lost battle or not :)

Thank you
wouter

Re: visual studio 2012 express for windows desktop

Postby fbraem » 18 Oct 2012, 14:03

I have no experience with VS 2012, but it would help if you let us know what your problem is ...
Zumuta!, that's the way to do IT!
fbraem

Postby wouter » 18 Oct 2012, 14:17

I actually posted twice before I realised it had to be approved. Second time I skipped the error message because I wanted to know if anyone tried before.

There is no 'batch build' option in vs2012express so I just opened the Foundation solution in the IDE. It seemed to upgrade the project files ok (x64_vs100). But it cannot compile DLLVersion.rc with the error:
Error 2 error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'.
I actually just commented that line and the build seemed to succeed but the test modules didn't.
(Error 4 error C2668: 'std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Alloc>::basic_string' : ambiguous call to overloaded function)

So before I went into the rabbit hole I wanted to know if it's been tried before and how much pain I can expect :)

Thanks for your help
wouter

Postby wouter » 19 Oct 2012, 14:02

Fwiw, commenting that #include line seemed to work. I've given up on the tests, I simply don't have the time. The examples for Poco::Net and SQLite seem to work. :)
wouter

Postby alex » 19 Oct 2012, 16:13

VS Express does not include MFC and CppUnit GUI needs it. Read this discussion for a more elaborate explanantion on how to build without either Visual Studio or MFC. All we need is someone to step in, invest some time and fix the mess. GUI testsuite is nice but it's been more pain than it's worth for non-commercial VS users. We'd be very fine with simple command line test runs like we have on other platforms.
alex

Postby marlowabnp » 19 Jan 2013, 20:24

alex wrote:VS Express does not include MFC and CppUnit GUI needs it. Read this discussion for a more elaborate explanantion on how to build without either Visual Studio or MFC. All we need is someone to step in, invest some time and fix the mess. GUI testsuite is nice but it's been more pain than it's worth for non-commercial VS users. We'd be very fine with simple command line test runs like we have on other platforms.

I just got bitten by this problem. Nearly all my dev is on linux so I have a minimal Studio env (actually on my son's machine that he uses for college) so there is no MFC, nor is there ever likely to be. I am amazed to hear that CppUnit has a dependency on it. Huh? Simple command line unit tests can be done with other unit test frameworks. There are a number to choose from. I hope that Poco will consider moving to one and abandoning CppUnit. Some of these other frameworks exist partly because of how horrendus CppUnit has become. I know, I wrote one. It is FRUCTOSE, on sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fructose. There are others that are just as good. The better ones, like mine, are header-only implementations and do not depend on other foundation class libraries such as boost. This makes it really simple to pick one up and start using it.
marlowabnp

Postby alex » 20 Jan 2013, 00:01

marlowabnp wrote:I am amazed to hear that CppUnit has a dependency on it. Huh? Simple command line unit tests can be done with other unit test frameworks.

Only WinTestRunner has MFC dependence. CppUnit can run as command line only tool, just like it does on non-Windows platforms.

See these:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5446#p9143
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5446&start=10#p9172
alex

Postby marlowabnp » 22 Jan 2013, 12:49

alex wrote:
marlowabnp wrote:I am amazed to hear that CppUnit has a dependency on it. Huh? Simple command line unit tests can be done with other unit test frameworks.

Only WinTestRunner has MFC dependence. CppUnit can run as command line only tool, just like it does on non-Windows platforms.

I don't see where or how. Driver.cpp seems to be the command line version but I cannot see it in the Visual Studio solutions.

I have to admit that the GUI test program is nice. What a pity it is Windoze-only. I suppose it would be a can of worms for Poco testing to reply on a third-party GUI library. There are just so many and they are all moving targets.
marlowabnp

Postby alex » 22 Jan 2013, 17:21

marlowabnp wrote:I don't see where or how. Driver.cpp seems to be the command line version but I cannot see it in the Visual Studio solutions.

Visual Studio solutions are not read only. We can change them and/or introduce new ones.
marlowabnp wrote:I have to admit that the GUI test program is nice. What a pity it is Windoze-only. I suppose it would be a can of worms for Poco testing to reply on a third-party GUI library. There are just so many and they are all moving targets.

Nah, no more GUI mess. Web interface would be nice, though. With Poco::Net::HTTPServer (or Reactor) and WebSocket it would not be too hard to do. Test executable would launch the default browser and act as back-end server and test executor.

EDIT: I mention WebSocket because you could run tests from either HTML GUI or from the back-end command line, updating the HTML front-end in real-time.
alex

Return to Support