Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

minor style gripe about the use of the TAB character

General discussion regarding the development of POCO for contributors.

minor style gripe about the use of the TAB character

Postby marlowa » 09 Aug 2006, 17:37

This is very minor gripe about the fact that POCO source files contain the TAB character for indentation. The TAB character means different things to different people, editors and printers. In general, none agree. That is why, IMO, it is better not to employ the TAB character in source files. Just google for "tab character evil" to see all the arguments against the TAB character. But I will add that it is a problem for projects where more than one person will work on the code, or when people other than the original author may wish to contribute to the code.
marlowa

Re: minor style gripe about the use of the TAB character

Postby alex » 10 Aug 2006, 00:25

> This is very minor gripe about the fact that POCO source files contain the TAB character for indentation. The TAB character means different things to different people, editors and printers. In general, none agree. That is why, IMO, it is better not to employ the TAB character in source files. Just google for "tab character evil" to see all the arguments against the TAB character. But I will add that it is a problem for projects where more than one person will work on the code, or when people other than the original author may wish to contribute to the code.
>

It's one of those things that fall under "don't sweat the small stuff category". I asked for 2-space tabs. Did not fly. Oh well ...
alex

Re: Re: minor style gripe about the use of the TAB character

Postby marlowa » 11 Aug 2006, 11:48

> > This is very minor gripe about the fact that POCO source files contain the TAB character for indentation. The TAB character means different things to different people, editors and printers. In general, none agree.
>
> It's one of those things that fall under "don't sweat the small stuff category". I asked for 2-space tabs. Did not fly. Oh well ...

Well it is only a minor point but the point is that no matter what one believes the indentation amount should be, TAB does not help one to achieve it unless you are the only person that will ever look at the source. That's because TAB means different things to different people, editors and printers. With spaces one will not always have the identation amount that other people prefer but at least it will be treated consistently and look as intended no matter who is looking.
marlowa

Re: minor style gripe about the use of the TAB character

Postby hersto » 21 Dec 2007, 04:07

> This is very minor gripe about the fact that POCO source files contain the TAB character for indentation...

i don't like TABs too for the above reasons, but also for this:

When i'm editing a file with TABs and press the cursor keys, i never know where the cursor goes. This makes the editor non-predictable and i have to verify the screen first, before continuing typing. E.g. like to press the right-arrow for a short time and then have the cursor moved to the right by 5 characters, to the place where i need to type something. (my keyboard is on its fastest setting).

my 2 ct.
hersto

Return to Contributors