Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Project Ideas

General discussion regarding the development of POCO for contributors.

Project Ideas

Postby alex » 15 Aug 2006, 17:25

I have put a couple of new items into ProjectIdeas.

Since there seems to be a significant amount of interest to contribute new functionality, I have proposed a project named PocoSandbox (much like Boost Sandbox), which would be a SVN-only project from which new Poco contributions for either existing or new libraries would come in a form more concrete than random newsgroup/maillist posts - source code. Obviously sandbox will contain a lot of diverse and unrelated stuff, but that's fine, it is the purpose of it. This however, doesnot mean there are no rules - quite the contrary, the code checked in should conform to poco coding style and should compile and work. A "Pocoification" procedure should be determined as well.

And then, there are PocoData, PocoWeb and PocoComm. These are definitely needed and should IMO go immediately on it's own, rather than through sandbox.

At this time, this is my brainstorming along with some exchange of rough ideas w/ Guenter. Any comments on Project Ideas are welcome.

Alex
alex

Re: Project Ideas

Postby marlowa » 15 Aug 2006, 20:23

> I have put a couple of new items into ProjectIdeas.
>
> Since there seems to be a significant amount of interest to contribute new functionality, I have proposed a project named PocoSandbox [snip], the code checked in should conform to poco coding style and should compile and work.
> At this time, this is my brainstorming along with some exchange of rough ideas w/ Guenter. Any comments on Project Ideas are welcome.

Sounds like this is where my StringIndex class should go....
marlowa

Re: Re: Project Ideas

Postby alex » 15 Aug 2006, 21:17

> Sounds like this is where my StringIndex class should go....

Exactly. And then folks look at it, play with it and finally vote on it.
alex

Return to Contributors