Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Poco::Ipc

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

Poco::Ipc

Postby quest » 18 Jan 2009, 08:47

It would be nice to have Poco::Ipc in general and it would be even better if it would tie into Poco::NotificationCenter and Poco::NotificationQueue classes. And if it was possible to have an option to persist ipc messages it would be simply perfect :-) It could be something like Poco::Data with multiple IPC service providers (Poco::Ipc::SharedMemory for high speed local IPC; Poco::Ipc::Net for network IPC possibly allowing multiple network IPC protocols like a raw binary protocol for high speed messages and SOAP for WebService IPC... sort of like WCF in .NET 3.5; and finally Poco::Ipc::Persisted where IPC messages would be stored during their transfer to make sure they don't get lost in case the target is not there or, just in general, if the system goes down before the message can be delivered.

I know it's a lot of work, but Poco::Ipc would make POCO the tool of choice for a huge number of developers before there's really nothing out there that does all that. IPC in ACE is a joke. D-bus is barely usable and very limited in its abilities. And there isn't really anything that provides persistent IPC...
quest

Re: Poco::Ipc

Postby quest » 18 Jan 2009, 09:50

Just to clarify... I wasn't talking about something like "Remoting" (where you deal with services, etc) or "UPnP" (which helps to do peer computer discovery) (Applied Informatics already has that :-)) I was talking only about IPC messaging to exchange notifications/events. The main idea is to be able to use NotificationQueues and NotificationCenters to communicate not only within a single process, but also to communicate between different processes on the same machine and/or different machines. I ended up building bits of something similar using gSOAP and Poco::Data (to do local IPC and to support persistent IPC messages) and I was wondering if there are any plans to have anything close to what I described sometime in the future.
quest

Postby alex » 18 Jan 2009, 15:30

quest wrote:I ended up building bits of something similar using gSOAP and Poco::Data (to do local IPC and to support persistent IPC messages) and I was wondering if there are any plans to have anything close to what I described sometime in the future.

There are no immediate plans. But if you want to contribute, let us know.
alex

Postby quest » 19 Jan 2009, 00:52

Encoding/decoding data in IPC messages are the biggest pain... I'd be willing to put together the initial version of Poco::Ipc with the Poco::Ipc::SharedMemory provider and a generic BinaryWriter/BinaryReader based IPC data format engine (nothing fancy like it's done for Remoting). Hopefully others can step in and expand it to make it really useful.
quest

Postby guenter » 19 Jan 2009, 09:11

That would be great. You can start development in the SVN sandbox. Please let me know your Sourceforge username and I'll give you write access to the repository.
guenter

Return to Wishlist