Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

PocoServlet Feedback

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

PocoServlet Feedback

Postby alex » 17 Dec 2006, 00:55

PocoServlet is in SVN.
I'd like to receive some feedback on it. So, if you have comments, suggestions, proposals, this is the place.

Thanks,

Alex
alex
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 11 Jul 2006, 16:27
Location: United_States

Re: PocoServlet Feedback

Postby leoseib » 25 Dec 2006, 20:19

I have tried to compile and start PocoServlets on ubuntu 6.10 Linux (gcc 4.1.2).

There were some problems in build system:

1. No correct include-paths in the makefile.

2. ServletEx has been moved to Servlet directory, but the ServletEx *.cpp files were not included in makefile and in the library.

3. There were extra qualifiers in 2 header-files: include/Poco/Servlet/Ex/HttpServer.h line 94,
include/Poco/Servlet/Container/WebApplication.h line 280, that prevented to compile code with gcc 4.1

4. Testsuite. There are 2 libraries in the testsuite, which schould be compiled before (TestServlet and TestFilter). 22 Test were successfull, 1 failed. Last output was:

2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Found servlet:RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Class: RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Shared library: TestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Description: Refresh test servlet.
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Display name: Refresh Test Servlet
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Init parameter: is_session_interpreted=1
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Path /RefreshTestServlet mapped to RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Loading /home/leo/poco-1.2.5/Servlet/runtime/webapps/ServletTest/WEB-INF/classes/TestServlet.so
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Loaded servlet SingletonTestServlet [class SingletonTestServlet]
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I]
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Found filter:TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Class: TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Shared library: TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Description: A test login filter.
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.6] [I] Display name: Test Login Filter
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.7] [I] Init parameter: do_authentication=1
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.7] [I] Found server class PocoServer residing in shared library PocoServer
[2006-12-25 18:40:33.7] [I] Destroyed: SingletonTestServlet; Reason: Application destroyed
ERROR

!!!FAILURES!!!
Runs: 23 Failures: 0 Errors: 1

There was 1 error:
1: N7CppUnit10TestCallerI13ContainerTestEE.testWebServer
"N4Poco17OpenFileExceptionE: /home/leo/poco-1.2.5/Servlet/runtime/webservers/PoCoServer/WEB-INF/log/PocoServerD.log"
in "", line -1

I don't understand ,what is wrong

5. I have tried to start Molto in the directory "runtime". The output was

[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I]
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Found servlet:RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Class: RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Shared library: TestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Description: Refresh test servlet.
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Display name: Refresh Test Servlet
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Init parameter: is_session_interpreted=1
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Path /RefreshTestServlet mapped to RefreshTestServlet
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Loading /home/leo/poco-1.2.5/Servlet/runtime/webapps/ServletTest/WEB-INF/classes/TestServlet.so
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Loaded servlet SingletonTestServlet [class SingletonTestServlet]
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I]
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Found filter:TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Class: TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Shared library: TestFilter
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Description: A test login filter.
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Display name: Test Login Filter
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Init parameter: do_authentication=1
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.0] [I] Starting server /home/leo/poco-1.2.5/Servlet/runtime/webservers/PocoServer/
[2006-12-25 18:52:56.1] [I] Found server class PocoServer residing in shared library PocoServer

Conclusion: it works, but... there is no process listening on some tcp port, it is not clear how individual components interacting each other, how to see the result.

It would be very helpful to have a short introduntional description, how to bring things working together.

But general, the project seems to be very promising, I hope for further development.

Sincerely, Leo Seib


> PocoServlet is in SVN.
> I'd like to receive some feedback on it. So, if you have comments, suggestions, proposals, this is the place.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
leoseib
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Dec 2006, 22:20

Re: Re: PocoServlet Feedback

Postby alex » 26 Dec 2006, 14:47

> But general, the project seems to be very promising, I hope for further development.
>
> Sincerely, Leo Seib

Leo,

Some of the issues you are reporting (such as ServletEx directory) have been fixed in SVN. Some others, such as automatic tests compilation and runs have not been finished yet. I was actually able to compile everything and run tests on linux, but it was manual copying around. I even have the thing running in real world on linux for almost a year. I am aware of the lack of documentation and all the other shortcomings of the project (that's why it's in sandbox) - time is the most scarce resource, so if you'd be willing to put forth the effort on automating and polishing Linux build/tests, please email me directly to aleskx at gmail dot com and I'll be glad to work with you.

thanks for your interest,

Alex
alex
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 11 Jul 2006, 16:27
Location: United_States

Re: Re: PocoServlet Feedback

Postby alex » 27 Dec 2006, 02:34

Ok, let me try to reply one at a time now:

> 1. No correct include-paths in the makefile.

Did you add following to $POCO_BASE/components file:

Servlet

Servlet/Servlet

Servlet/Container

Servlet/PocoServer

Also, do you have POCO_BASE environment variable defined? It is required by some deployment descriptors.

> 2. ServletEx has been moved to Servlet directory, but the ServletEx *.cpp files were not included in makefile and in the library.

I will take are of this one as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for the pointer.

> 3. There were extra qualifiers in 2 header-files: include/Poco/Servlet/Ex/HttpServer.h line 94,
> include/Poco/Servlet/Container/WebApplication.h line 280, that prevented to compile code with gcc 4.1

Same as 2.

> 4. Testsuite. There are 2 libraries in the testsuite, which schould be compiled before (TestServlet and TestFilter). 22 Test were successfull, 1 failed. Last output was:

Same as 2.

> There was 1 error:
> 1: N7CppUnit10TestCallerI13ContainerTestEE.testWebServer
> "N4Poco17OpenFileExceptionE: /home/leo/poco-1.2.5/Servlet/runtime/webservers/PoCoServer/WEB-INF/log/PocoServerD.log"
> in "", line -1
> I don't understand ,what is wrong

Looks like either you do not have the mentioned file or it is locked for some reason. The file contains logging properties.

> 5. I have tried to start Molto in the directory "runtime". The output was
> [2006-12-25 18:52:56.1] [I] Found server class PocoServer residing in shared library PocoServer
> Conclusion: it works, but... there is no process listening on some tcp port, it is not clear how individual components interacting each other, how to see the result.

Check at what you have specified in the PocoServer deployment descriptor located in:

$POCO_BASE/Servlet/runtime/webservers/PocoServer/WEB-INF/web.xml

> It would be very helpful to have a short introduntional description, how to bring things working together.

I know, I will do it as soon as I get some time available (sevlets don't pay much, so I have to keep my day job ;-)

>
> But general, the project seems to be very promising, I hope for further development.

Thanks

Alex
alex
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 11 Jul 2006, 16:27
Location: United_States


Return to Wishlist

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest