Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Passing data through TCPServer Threads in ChatServer App

Please post support and help requests here.
cosu2004

Passing data through TCPServer Threads in ChatServer App

Postby cosu2004 » 24 Jan 2013, 00:39

Hello guy,

I was wondering, which is the best way to pass data through threads created by the TCPServer class?
1. It is ok if I make a common inherited object for all threads and each one writes data in this object and then the object sends a Notification to other so they can read it?
2. Change the TCPServer class or use the ServerReactor framework in a multithreaded way?
3 . It is possible to use Events for this job?
4. Make my custom TCPServer class and here implement a way to keep track of the threads and know who is who?

I want to use this for a server-client Chat application in which I have groups, chat rooms... Each client has his own thread. Any ideas which is the correct way to communicate between threads?

Thank you. ;)

alex

Re: Passing data through TCPServer Threads in ChatServer App

Postby alex » 24 Jan 2013, 04:01

cosu2004 wrote:1. It is ok if I make a common inherited object for all threads and each one writes data in this object and then the object sends a Notification to other so they can read it?

You already have such object: NotificationCenter
cosu2004 wrote:2. Change the TCPServer class or use the ServerReactor framework in a multithreaded way?

You can do that, too. In 1.5.1, there is also ParallelSocketReactor.
cosu2004 wrote:3 . It is possible to use Events for this job?

Events don't work across thread boundaries. Use Notificatons instead, they do.
cosu2004 wrote:4. Make my custom TCPServer class and here implement a way to keep track of the threads and know who is who?

Well, if you feel inclined, you can do that, too.

Return to “Support”