Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

MongoDB package on sandbox...

General discussion regarding the development of POCO for contributors.

MongoDB package on sandbox...

Postby raulgd » 02 Feb 2013, 19:40

Hi All,

Checking out what's new in the POCO libraries, I see that on the project sandbox in github, there's a folder for creating a mongodb driver.

I was wondering, how usable is it? and do you guys need any contributions so people can help? maybe we can achieve releasing the driver for the 1.6.0 release, I really could use a decent C++ driver and ditch Java altogether on my server side.

Thanks!
raulgd

Re: MongoDB package on sandbox...

Postby rakesh » 02 Feb 2013, 21:20

I think the person who contributed the JSON module is the one who is planning to work on the MongoDB effort. I had also started thinking along the lines of a driver after more or less finishing (a slightly improved ODM is coming) my BSON implementation.

https://freecode.com/projects/umabson
rakesh

Postby alex » 02 Feb 2013, 21:31

Franky Braem started working on it some time ago but I'm not sure what is his schedule. Franky usually hangs around here but I'll also prompt him about your inquiry.

It would be nice to have it for the upcoming 1.5.2 release.
alex

Postby fbraem » 02 Feb 2013, 23:02

I've uploaded my MongoDB code to my fork of the POCO repository: https://github.com/fbraem/poco/tree/MongoDB (The MongoDB branch)
It can already be used to work with MongoDB but there is still some work to do for pooling connections, working with replica sets, ...

I'm currently busy with my MQWeb project, but if needed I can help.

Franky
Zumuta!, that's the way to do IT!
fbraem

Postby alex » 02 Feb 2013, 23:13

Thanks, Franky. 1.5.2 is scheduled for the end of March; I'll be looking for MongoDB pull requests ...
alex

Postby raulgd » 03 Feb 2013, 01:30

Great!

So, database pooling is missing, and I'll start checking the mongoDB driver spec to see what's needed to work with replica sets.

Thanks for your contribution Franky, too bad I had to switch jobs and a bunch of other personal stuff, maybe when things are a bit less hectic, I can continue the poco cookbook, and as I remember, you also offered to help out.
raulgd

Postby fbraem » 11 Feb 2013, 22:28

Ok I've parked MQWeb, and switched back to MongoDB. I've noticed that the code I've uploaded to the code is a mix of old and new code. I've to find out which code is correct ... so stay tuned I'll let you know when the correct code is in the repository.

Franky
fbraem

Postby fbraem » 13 Feb 2013, 20:18

The code in the repository is working again: https://github.com/fbraem/poco/tree/MongoDB/MongoDB

Still to do: write more tests, add more documentation, adhere to the Poco coding standards, add some samples, ...
Oh, and I'm currently using the premake build system for testing because it can generate Codelite workspaces. So I have to add/update some Poco makefiles for MongoDB.

Franky
fbraem

Postby alex » 16 Feb 2013, 19:09

Franky, you think you could have it ready for mid-march 1.5.2 release?
alex

Postby fbraem » 16 Feb 2013, 22:15

alex wrote:Franky, you think you could have it ready for mid-march 1.5.2 release?

Yep, I've just created a pull request.

Franky
fbraem

Next

Return to Contributors