Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Where is PocoData

General discussion regarding the development of POCO for contributors.

Where is PocoData

Postby alex » 15 Sep 2006, 16:48

Peter,

I am indeed extremely pleased with the announcement of PocoData. I have been pushing for it for a long time and finally it is here. From what I have seen in documentation, it is (as usual) a well designed piece of code. Well done.

Few questions/suggestions:

1) AFAIK PocoData is OS. If so, where can the code be found?
2) Some ideas in PocoData were taken from SOCI. It would be appropriate to give due credit to Maciej & Co for some really good ideas. AFAICT there is none in the docs.
3) In the docs, I have noticed some remnants of "spaced brackets" style such as std::vector < std::string > which conflicts with coding style
Edit: 4) Is there any chance/plans for Foundation::Tuple and support for it in PocoData?

Other than the above, I am quite pleased with what I have seen so far and I look forward to get my hands on the code :-)

Alex
alex

Re: Where is PocoData

Postby peter » 18 Sep 2006, 09:06

> Peter,
>
> I am indeed extremely pleased with the announcement of PocoData. I have been pushing for it for a long time and finally it is here. From what I have seen in documentation, it is (as usual) a well designed piece of code. Well done.
>
> Few questions/suggestions:
>
> 1) AFAIK PocoData is OS. If so, where can the code be found?

Jep, it is. Currently in the pipeline for a code review, then it will be released.

> 2) Some ideas in PocoData were taken from SOCI. It would be appropriate to give due credit to Maciej & Co for some really good ideas. AFAICT there is none in the docs.

Some? well, make that a plenty (:wink:). They have really created a beautiful, nice interface for SQL, we just extended that a bit and provided our own implementation.
Though I planned to do more detailed comparison of the two implementations/interfaces (there are some parts which we handle differently than SOCI, especially collections),
I've added a short Credits statements to the Wiki. Knowing me, I'll probably never find the time to do that long version.

> 3) In the docs, I have noticed some remnants of "spaced brackets" style such as std::vector < std::string > which conflicts with coding style
Noted and will be taken care of.

> Edit: 4) Is there any chance/plans for Foundation::Tuple and support for it in PocoData?

Foundation::Tuple???? throw Brain::NullPointerException("don't know what you mean")

>
> Other than the above, I am quite pleased with what I have seen so far and I look forward to get my hands on the code :-)

And I look fwd for your dataconnectors implementations (:biggrin:)

br
Peter
>
> Alex
peter

Re: Re: Where is PocoData

Postby alex » 18 Sep 2006, 15:23

> > Edit: 4) Is there any chance/plans for Foundation::Tuple and support for it in PocoData?
>
> Foundation::Tuple???? throw Brain::NullPointerException("don't know what you mean")

catch (Brain::NullPointerException& ex)
{
goto [www.boost.org/libs/tuple|boost::tuple]
}
alex

Re: Re: Re: Where is PocoData

Postby peter » 18 Sep 2006, 16:08

> > > Edit: 4) Is there any chance/plans for Foundation::Tuple and support for it in PocoData?
> >
Well, Poco::Tuple is currently not planned, but it should be possible to use
boost::tuple in PocoData by providing the necessary TypeHandler template specializations.

Naturally, if someone happens to write Poco::Tuple and/or the necessary TypeHandlers for PocoData, we will gladly incorporate it :-)
I'm currently a bit out of time.

br
Peter
peter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where is PocoData

Postby alex » 18 Sep 2006, 17:18

> > > > Edit: 4) Is there any chance/plans for Foundation::Tuple and support for it in PocoData?
> > >
> Well, Poco::Tuple is currently not planned, but it should be possible to use
> boost::tuple in PocoData by providing the necessary TypeHandler template specializations.
>
> Naturally, if someone happens to write Poco::Tuple and/or the necessary TypeHandlers for PocoData, we will gladly incorporate it :-)
> I'm currently a bit out of time.

Trust me, I know all there is about being 'out of time' (don't we all :-( ). At this time, I just wanted to throw it in as an idea.

Thank you,

Alex
alex

Return to Contributors