UnicodeConverter toUTF8 not working?

Please post support and help requests here.
deisenhut

UnicodeConverter toUTF8 not working?

Postby deisenhut » 13 Aug 2013, 23:23

It doesn't appear as if UnicodeConverter::ToUTF8() function is working. What am I doing wrong here?

I am building the following test function on Win32 (Windows 7 x64) with Unicode enabled.

Code: Select all

#include <iostream>
#include "Poco/UnicodeConverter.h"

using namespace std ;

void TestFunction()
{
   wstring input(L"Test String");
   string output;
   Poco::UnicodeConverter::toUTF8(input, output);
   cout << "Output: " << output << endl;
}

The output for this function is

Output:

What am I missing? wstring on Win32 should be UTF16. UnicodeConverter should be converting between UTF16 and UTF8. The second parameter of toUTF8() is a reference parameter, so output should be getting modified.

Under the hood, UnicodeConverter is using UTF16Encoding object with TextConverter to issue the following command:

converter.convert(utf16String.data(), (int) utf16String.length()*sizeof(wchar_t), utf8String);

Then the TextConverter loops through the wchar_t array of the source. My next step would be to rebuild Poco for Debug so that I can step through this function to figure out what is wrong. But hopefully what I'm doing wrong is obvious to someone else here.

Thanks,
Dan

deisenhut

Re: UnicodeConverter toUTF8 not working?

Postby deisenhut » 14 Aug 2013, 16:40

Here's some useful information on this problem. It only happens when building for Debug! If I build for "Release", it works as expected.

I also found something else behaving strangely when building for Debug. Poco::File doesn't work right. See the following test code:

string sourceFile("SomeTestFile.txt");
   cout << "Source: " << sourceFile << endl;
   try {
      Poco::File sourceFileObj(sourceFile);
   } catch (Poco::Exception ex) {
      cout << "Exception Caught: " << ex.message() << endl;
   }
   cout << "Completed." << endl;

This only outputs:

Source: SomeTestFile.txt

The "Completed." at the end is not outputted! But only if building for Debug. Works fine for Release. Looking in the Poco source, I do not currently understand why this is happening.

Note: Poco was built for Release and was not rebuilt when switching between Debug and Release above. Both are linking to the same Poco library. Is this causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dan

guenter

Postby guenter » 14 Aug 2013, 17:07

You should never mix debug and release builds. When building your application for release, also use the POCO release build. Same for debug. Otherwise a lot of bad things may happen. For example, debug and release builds on Windows may use different heap layout (due to error/leak detection) and even layout of C++ standard library classes may be different, leading to strange things when you start to mix them.

deisenhut

Postby deisenhut » 14 Aug 2013, 17:17

Thanks. I'll have to build the debug version for Poco and check them in as well, then modify all our project files to use the debug version for linking.

Return to “Support”