Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Program cant start bc SSleay32.dll is missing

Please post support and help requests here.

Program cant start bc SSleay32.dll is missing

Postby bmeads » 22 Feb 2013, 17:01

Hi POCO Gurus

I have inherited a Windows C++ application that uses POCO libraries including Crypto and NetSSL_OpenSSL libraries.

I have been able to download and extract the libraries for x86 and x64 using VS2012 and I can compile the application.
However when I run the compiled app on the target platform I get an error message that says:

"The program can't start because SSLeay32.dll is missing from your computer." Same problem on x64.

edit: more info:
original developers app compiled to 3.88MB. Mine compiles to around 2.7MB. so Im obviously not compiling in
the openSSL components (ssleay32.dll, etc) into the POCO Libraries NetSSL/Crypto), or possibly somewhere else.

I am pretty sure there is a link switch somewhere I need to set when compiling NetSSL or Crypto, but I am not sure where.

Any ideas? I am pretty sure this is a basic question. :)

thanks!
Last edited by bmeads on 23 Feb 2013, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
bmeads

Re: Program cant start bc SSleay32.dll is missing

Postby alex » 22 Feb 2013, 23:38

before you run the program, make sure SSLeay32.dll is in the path
alex

Postby bmeads » 22 Feb 2013, 23:58

thanks for the reply.

I understand ssleay32.dll has to be in the path when I run the program. that isnt my issue.

my problem is I dont want to have to deploy ssleay32.dll tothe target system at all; I want it compiled into my application that I deploy so I dont have to redistribute ssleay32.dll
I think that when I compile either crypto or netssl I have to specify a setting that compiles these dlls in rather than linking to them externally. I just dont know where that setting is.

thanks!!!
bmeads

Postby bmeads » 23 Feb 2013, 16:31

More information:

The original developer's application compiled to 3.88 MB and did not require the ssleay32.dll to be on the target system.

I had to reconstruct the development environment and compile the poco libraries, including crypto and NetSSL_OpenSSL
(both of which require OpenSSL, which has ssleay32.dll in its lib path).

I have the same source code as the original developer, yet mine compiles to 2.8MB and requires ssleay32.dll to be on the
target system. I think when I compiled the POCO Crypto or NetSSL there was a setting I missed, resulting in my application
requiring the DLL to be on the target system.

ANy help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!!
bmeads

Postby alex » 24 Feb 2013, 23:10

you have to build release_static, NOT release_shared configuration
alex

Postby bmeads » 27 Feb 2013, 19:17

The POCO Libraries NetSSL and Crypto both use ssleay32.lib and libeay32.lib. these VS projects are compiled as release static.
the library reference path is set to OpenSSL/lib/VC/Static, and libeay32MT.lib, etc are indicated as dependancies.

My application is compiled as release static (C++ Code generation-> RT Library /MT) and linker input points to libeay32MT.lib, ssleay32MT.lib as well.
I also tried adding in ssleay32.lib, etc as additional dependancies under linker/input, no help.

I have no idea why it requires ssleay32.dll to be on the target machine.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
bmeads

Postby xann16 » 08 Apr 2014, 23:33

Have you got any solution. I have same problem...
xann16

Return to Support