Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

GLUEscript released

A general discussion forum.

GLUEscript released

Postby fbraem » 14 May 2009, 21:27

Last week I've released the first version of GLUEscript. GLUEscript ports many libraries to JavaScript. Internally GLUEscript uses POCO to make GLUEscript portable to several platforms. You can get more information on the GLUEscript website: http://gluescript.sf.net

Franky.
Zumuta!, that's the way to do IT!
fbraem

Re: GLUEscript released

Postby alex » 14 May 2009, 22:38

Franky,

Interesting project. I started doing something along those lines (see Poco::Script) few years ago with Lua, but never got around finishing it. I will take a closer look at your project. My plan was a more general one, though - a front-end script library with different backends (Lua, Javascript, Python, Perl ...). I know you're probably as busy as we all are, but if you have any interest contributing in that direction, email me.

Alex
alex

Postby fbraem » 15 May 2009, 18:55

I can always provide an Environment for JavaScript. Something I would change now is to make it possible to pass a Configuration to the Environment. I'll get the source from Subversion to see what I can do.
fbraem

Postby alex » 15 May 2009, 19:13

Feel free to experiment, we are looking for contributor but have not been succesful so far. Initially, I wanted to have the persistence capable of saving the entire VM into a file and restart it or ship it around. Mainly because of the pointers, that is not trivial for most scripting engines, so it should probably be deferred to later, more advanced phases. Also (forgive me if I'm asking dumb question, but I've been out of the loop on the subject) - what are the benefits of SpiderMonkey over V8?
alex

Postby fbraem » 15 May 2009, 19:17

Well my project started in 2002 as wxJavaScript and SpiderMonkey was the only engine available in that time. Switching to V8 will result in a lot of work, although some of the engine-specific code is stored in one class. And the last time I checked, V8 was not thread safe which is important in my project on Apache.
fbraem

Postby alex » 15 May 2009, 19:51

OK, since Javascript engines keep on popping up, it's always smart to keep your options open, so can you position yourself as follows:

Script
|
+ Lua
+ Javascript
--------|
--------+ SpiderMonkey
--------+ V8
--------+ SquirrelFish
--------+ ...

Let me know your SF username when you need SVN write permissions.
alex

Postby fbraem » 27 May 2009, 18:34

For those who are interested in the JavaScript/SpiderMonkey environment. I do the development in the repository of GLUEscript. When the environment is mature I'll contribute the source to the POCO Sandbox repository.

Franky.
fbraem

Return to General Discussion