Servlet Container Coming Out Soon

General discussion regarding the development of POCO for contributors.
alex

Servlet Container Coming Out Soon

Postby alex » 09 Dec 2006, 06:08

Uh, oh - I'm looking for a good name. I had this 'Molto' development name, but I'm not sure that's what I want to call it, so I'm looking for a feedback on it. If you wonder why Molto, well, 'poco' means "a little bit" (in Italian). 'Molto' means "a lot". So there. I also thought about name "Cervlet" - the servlet class is actually named Cervlet in code due to collision with namespace name. Anyway, I'm looking for other suggestions.

Here's what's in the package:

Servlet - servlet 2.4 API
ServletEx - some extra servlet API stuff, not in spec
Container - container functionality (managing sessions, servers and servlets)
PocoServer - Poco web server
Molto - the executable
Tests with some simple servlets and filters.

Feedback/proposals on name are welcome.

Alex

mushubi

Re: Servlet Container Coming Out Soon

Postby mushubi » 09 Dec 2006, 20:09

> Uh, oh - I'm looking for a good name. I had this 'Molto' development name, but I'm not sure that's what I want to call it, so I'm looking for a feedback on it. If you wonder why Molto, well, 'poco' means "a little bit" (in Italian). 'Molto' means "a lot". So there. I also thought about name "Cervlet" - the servlet class is actually named Cervlet in code due to collision with namespace name. Anyway, I'm looking for other suggestions.

Alex,
It's me the Java guy ;-) Actually I have never written any Java production code. I have some understanding of the language and a sizable collection of Java books but have never had an opportunity to use it for any serious work.
That said I think the Java's concept of servlets is great. I have written cgi programs in c++; they work great but cgi is kind 90's way of web development.
That's why I am excited about what you are working on, Molto. I don't care about the name. I can live with "Cervlet"

BTW if I was your boss I would say work on Molto or Cervlet .. and forget PocoData for the moment. You can always hook into open source data access libs out there; for example OTL. It is a headers only lib and works fantastic. Furhermore SOCI is now at 2.2 and movingly quickly to Boost.

My 0.2 cents.

paschal.

alex

Re: Re: Servlet Container Coming Out Soon

Postby alex » 11 Dec 2006, 02:37

> That said I think the Java's concept of servlets is great. I have written cgi programs in c++; they work great but cgi is kind 90's way of web development.
> That's why I am excited about what you are working on, Molto. I don't care about the name. I can live with "Cervlet"

I know, it is a good thing, but you also have to be aware of the extent/shortcomings of the framework, too. Servlets are definitely better than CGI (PocoNet itself is far better for that matter), but for a full blown web development, an AJAX framework is needed. Generating HTML and spaghetti JavaScript by hand gets old after a while. AppInf has some AJAX plans, but I don't know whether it'll be free. Also, if you need secure version, you'll either have to roll your own or pay for Poco Net_SSL.

> BTW if I was your boss I would say work on Molto or Cervlet .. and forget PocoData for the moment.

You're out of luck there. I'm the boss of my own free time ;-)

>You can always hook into open source data access libs out there; for example OTL. It is a headers only lib and works fantastic. Furhermore SOCI is now at 2.2 and movingly quickly to Boost.

I know of all of them. I pushed for PocoData nevertheless.

> My 0.2 cents.

Thanks. Email me ( aleskx AT gmail DOT com ) if you want to be at the edge, get sneak previews, contribute etc ...

Alex

alex

Re: Servlet Container Coming Out Soon

Postby alex » 13 Dec 2006, 01:22

Well, since there were no strong opinions one way or the other, after a brief exchange with Guenter, the name was decided to be PocoServlet. The names of libraries and executables in the project will remain the same.

Alex

Return to “Contributors”