Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

PageCompiler as a resource compiler

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

PageCompiler as a resource compiler

Postby rmoffer » 19 May 2009, 17:43

One of the projects I'm working on would benefit from being able to embed all its resources inside the application binary. If I was using Qt I would be using its resource mechanism.

Those resources are a mixture of html/text and binaries (images/flash).

The text files are easy - even if it does mean having to edit them to add the required headers, but binaries seem impossible in the current architecture.

Has anyone else thought about how to extend some of the concepts of PageCompiler to handle arbitry files ?
rmoffer

Re: PageCompiler as a resource compiler

Postby guenter » 19 May 2009, 20:38

I have an extension for the PageCompiler that basically turns a binary file (usually an image) into a page file, which then can be translated into C++ using the PageCompiler. You can find it in the 1.3.5 SVN repository: https://poco.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroo ... /File2Page

It's a quick hack but it has worked for me. I have used it in a small statically linked embedded (Linux) project where I wanted to have all web resources in the application binary. Let me know if it works for you.
guenter

Re: PageCompiler as a resource compiler

Postby rmoffer » 20 May 2009, 09:38

Thank you - haven't tried it yet - but it seems to be exactly what I was looking for AND I can follow the code :-)

Thanks again.

richard.
rmoffer

Return to Wishlist