Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

SMTP

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

SMTP

Postby muellerto » 01 Feb 2010, 14:56

I'd like to request SMTP-Servers (regardless of the fact that most servers have also POP3 access ...)
muellerto

Re: SMTP

Postby guenter » 01 Feb 2010, 17:47

I guess you mean IMAP? Well, someone would have to implement it...
guenter

Postby aderouineau » 01 Feb 2010, 17:56

Guenter, from this request I'm starting to feel that some kind of discussion should be started to decide the limits of POCO's features.

Since its primary goal is to be a framework, do we really want to include different servers (that by definition would be prone to security attacks)?

What do you think?
aderouineau

Postby guenter » 01 Feb 2010, 23:58

I meant IMAP client in this case.
As you noted correctly, the goal of POCO is not to implement all kinds of servers. The web server in POCO is an exception, because an embedded web server makes sense for a lot of different applications. However, an embedded mail server does not.
guenter

IMAP!

Postby muellerto » 02 Feb 2010, 17:24

Sure IMAP! (Damned, I worked the whole day on some SMTP (!) routines ...)

But why not? IMAP, POP3 and SMTP (and MIME stuff) are interesting because boost has absolutely no approach to this. I would really like to see this solved completely in the Net/Mail component.
muellerto

Postby fbraem » 02 Feb 2010, 20:12

aderouineau wrote:Guenter, from this request I'm starting to feel that some kind of discussion should be started to decide the limits of POCO's features.

Since its primary goal is to be a framework, do we really want to include different servers (that by definition would be prone to security attacks)?

What do you think?

Well maybe something like wxcode could be good for Poco: A place where developers can contribute code based on the POCO framework. The sandbox contains a lot of code which can be used for this (like the JavaScriptEnvironment I'm developing).

Franky.
Zumuta!, that's the way to do IT!
fbraem

Postby aderouineau » 03 Feb 2010, 12:14

As fbraem said, it would be nice to have some kind of hosting for POCO components, and have such components enhance POCO in a fairly transparent and structured way.

One example would be to change pocobot (http://www.pocobot.com/) so that it can be used as a component rather than a standalone project.

I believe a bittorrent component would also be very nice :)
aderouineau

Postby Gigante » 12 Mar 2010, 17:35

I'd like to second the motion for built-in SMTP server!

It doesn't have to be a full-featured mail-server, in my case I just want it to be able to send emails directly to the recipients mailserver without having to pass through gmails SMTP-server.

Of course, there are other open-source options for that so it's not on my poco-MUST-have-this-list....

However, I'd like the option of SMTP'ing emails using TLS or SSL, since gmail seems to require it (unless you use port 25 which I can't since my ISP has blocked it... )
Gigante

Postby aderouineau » 16 Mar 2010, 18:29

Not sure how you think a POCO mail "server" would fix your problem.

All mail between SMTP servers is exchanged unencrypted, and through port 25; that's it. If there was a mail serving componant in POCO, it would need port 25 open.

That leads to the following point: there's no point in having such componant. If you want your machine to send emails, install a lightweight SMTP send-only server.
aderouineau

Return to Wishlist