Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Poco::Data : support for RDBMS

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

Poco::Data : support for RDBMS

Postby cdelmas » 22 May 2007, 15:55

Is it planned to add support to Poco for some widely used RDBMS (relational database management system), for instance MySQL or Oracle ?
cdelmas

Re: Poco::Data : support for RDBMS

Postby alex » 22 May 2007, 18:18

> Is it planned to add support to Poco for some widely used RDBMS (relational database management system), for instance MySQL or Oracle ?

MySQL, Oracle and other widely used RDBMSs are currently supported through ODBC. The Data library design provides for very simple addition of other connectors. The only problem is to write them and unfortunately, time is the most scarce resource we have, so contributions are more than welcome. If you are by any chance willing to contribute in any capacity, please contact me directly:

at(aleskx, dot(gmail, com))

I am primarily interested in native connectors on POSIX systems because ODBC is sortof exotic thing on UNIX (although unixODBC and iODBC are solid products). Let me just mention here that, contrary to a widespread myth, ODBC (I use it on all production systems) usually does not incur enormous performance penalty . This benchmark proves it. I don't know of anything more recent, but referred benchmark is quite favorable for ODBC and things must have improved in more than a decade.

Alex

alex

Return to Wishlist