Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

logging : rotation at time strategy

Please post support and help requests here.

logging : rotation at time strategy

Postby cdelmas » 26 Jul 2007, 11:42

Hello all,
I have a question about the RotationAtTimeStrategy. For instance, I start my application at 11:00, and let it run until 17:00. At this time, I stop it, and it won't run until tomorrow. Then, I restart my application at 10:00, and I have a bad surprise: the log file isn't rotated, the same as yesterday is used !

I'm curious, so I went to find the code responsible for that behavior. Then, I found:
Code: Select all

void getNextRollover()
   {
      Timespan tsp(0, 0, 1, 0, 1000); // 0,00:01:00.001
      do
      {
         _threshold += tsp;
      }
      while (!(_threshold.minute() == _minute &&
              (-1 == _hour || _threshold.hour() == _hour) &&
              (-1 == _day  || _threshold.dayOfWeek() == _day)));
      // round to :00.0 seconds
      _threshold.assign(_threshold.year(), _threshold.month(), _threshold.day(), _threshold.hour(), _threshold.minute());
   }

The next rollover is set at "tomorrow",00:00! So it will never rotate my file if I stop my application before!
How can I force the logger to rotate my files every day at midnight or if it is not already done (because the application was off)? Is there another strategy or may I create another strategy class?

Thansk in advance.
cdelmas

Re: logging : rotation at time strategy

Postby alex » 26 Jul 2007, 15:32

> How can I force the logger to rotate my files every day at midnight or if it is not already done (because the application was off)? Is there another strategy or may I create another strategy class?

What you can do is add the check for the pFile->creationDate() prior to calling getNextRollover() from mustRotate() and return true if the new file should be created.
It would be nice if you could do it in a universal way (covering all the possible time based rotation cases) and contribute the code back.

Alex

P.S. I'm not sure what side-effects this may produce related to the funny NTFS "optimization" described in LogFile_WIN32.cpp constructor comment.
alex

Re: logging : rotation at time strategy

Postby cdelmas » 31 Jul 2007, 16:42

I have another problem, but it would probably be easy to patch. When a file is rotated, it must be destroyed then recreated. Indeed, the roll over will occur every time once the delay is over, resulting in too many archives.
cdelmas

Re: Re: logging : rotation at time strategy

Postby cdelmas » 03 Aug 2007, 15:47

>> P.S. I'm not sure what side-effects this may produce related to the funny NTFS optimization" described in LogFile_WIN32.cpp constructor comment.

The funny optimization (called file tunneling, I don't understand why ?!) described in LogFile_WIN32.cpp can be patched using "SetFileTime" :

^Sets the date and time that the specified file or directory was created, last accessed, or last modified.

Code: Select all
BOOL WINAPI SetFileTime(
  HANDLE hFile,
  const FILETIME* lpCreationTime,
  const FILETIME* lpLastAccessTime,
  const FILETIME* lpLastWriteTime
);
^
Doing that way, the file is really a new file !
cdelmas

Re: Re: logging : rotation at time strategy

Postby alex » 03 Aug 2007, 21:08

> I have another problem, but it would probably be easy to patch. When a file is rotated, it must be destroyed then recreated. Indeed, the roll over will occur every time once the delay is over, resulting in too many archives.

Look at PurgeStrategy.
alex

Return to Support