Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Visual C++ 2008

Please post support and help requests here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby chrisjones » 04 Feb 2008, 17:22

i tried to find mc.exe, but i cant find it at all, which could be the reason for it not working? ive tried the visual studio folders, the Microsoft SDKs folder and just searching through program files. can anyone else say where theirs are in case im looking in the wrong place? i was going to see if i could add the path to mc.exe in the windows PATH environment variable to see if that worked (just a guess).

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby alex » 04 Feb 2008, 20:39

> anyway, i still get the same error. Should there be anything i need to do, other than downloading POCO and clicking build in visual studio? i did look at the tutorial, but i didnt see anything except setting some paths in the PATH environment variable, which ive tried.

MC.exe is part of Microsoft Windows SDK v6.0A . To enable this option, select following option during the installation (or later, using add/remove install option):

* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
* -> Language Tools
* --> Visual C++
* ---> Visual C++ Tools
* ----> Win32 Tools

You will find the MC.exe in

C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv6.0Ain

This executable used to reside in 'Micrososft Visual Studio 8Common7ToolsBin' folder in the previous version.

Otherwise, it builds without a single hiccup with VS 2008:

Code: Select all

------ Build started: Project: Foundation, Configuration: debug_shared Win32 ------

Performing Custom Build Step

MC: Compiling p:pocoFoundationsrcpocomsg.mc

Compiling...

Bugcheck.cpp

ByteOrder.cpp

Build log was saved at "file://p:pocoFoundationobjdebug_sharedBuildLog.htm"

Foundation - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

HTH

Alex

alex

Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby chrisjones » 04 Feb 2008, 21:29

> MC.exe is part of Microsoft Windows SDK v6.0A . To enable this option, select following option during the installation (or later, using add/remove install option):
>
> * Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> * -> Language Tools
> * --> Visual C++
> * ---> Visual C++ Tools
> * ----> Win32 Tools

i cant find any options to do that. i tried uninstalling VC++ and the SDK and installing them again, but i dont get any options, it just tells me what its installing. How can i add it after the install?

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby alex » 04 Feb 2008, 22:39

> i cant find any options to do that. i tried uninstalling VC++ and the SDK and installing them again, but i dont get any options, it just tells me what its installing. How can i add it after the install?

We may not be talking about the same VS version. I have MS VS 2008 Professional. If I run autorun.exe from the DVD, there is option 'Change or remove Visual Studio 2008'. Selecting that takes me to a screen with 'Add or Remove Features' option which, in turn, brings up a screen with the tree of components with check boxes. That's where the mentioned option is found.

Alex
alex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby chrisjones » 04 Feb 2008, 23:26

> We may not be talking about the same VS version. I have MS VS 2008 Professional. If I run autorun.exe from the DVD, there is option 'Change or remove Visual Studio 2008'. Selecting that takes me to a screen with 'Add or Remove Features' option which, in turn, brings up a screen with the tree of components with check boxes. That's where the mentioned option is found.

i have express, and from what ive seen, you dont get any options or choice at any point.
i have the offline installer (ISO) that contains C++, C# etc. the setup lets you choose what language to install, if you go to the C++ part, you get an option to instal optional components, but thats only things like SilverLight. you can also repair/reinstall which just reinstalls parts automatically, and uninstall.
chrisjones

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby alex » 05 Feb 2008, 00:20

> i have express, and from what ive seen, you dont get any options or choice at any point.
> i have the offline installer (ISO) that contains C++, C# etc. the setup lets you choose what language to install, if you go to the C++ part, you get an option to instal optional components, but thats only things like SilverLight. you can also repair/reinstall which just reinstalls parts automatically, and uninstall.

Well ,I'm out of solutions, I can only point in Redmond direction. According to [url=http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa385633.aspx|this page], Message Compiler is part of the SDK which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c2b1e300-f358-4523-b479-f53d234cdccf&DisplayLang=en]here[/url.

Maybe something could be done in the future on our side about this whole thing. It is ridiculous for something like this to be a showstopper.

At any rate, if/when you resolve this, it would be nice if you would share a how-to with the community.

Alex
alex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby chrisjones » 05 Feb 2008, 01:52

> Well ,I'm out of solutions, I can only point in Redmond direction. According to [url=http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa385633.aspx|this page], Message Compiler is part of the SDK which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c2b1e300-f358-4523-b479-f53d234cdccf&DisplayLang=en]here[/url.

i just downloaded the win32 tools part from that link you gave me. and MC.exe is in there. that is /Microsoft SDKs/v6.0, where as express installs v6.0A, which doesnt seem to have it. can anyone else verify that it isnt part of express?

ive made a copy of MC.exe, im uninstalling the SDK, and the entire visual studio. im going to install it from scratch. i dont know if something broke, because it couldnt find windows.h.

> Maybe something could be done in the future on our side about this whole thing. It is ridiculous for something like this to be a showstopper.

yea it is. why do you need this step? i havent seen any other projects use it before, isnt there a different simpler way?

> At any rate, if/when you resolve this, it would be nice if you would share a how-to with the community.

of course.
i hope to be using POCO and will contribute if i come across anything whilst using it.
chrisjones

Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby alex » 05 Feb 2008, 02:34

> > Maybe something could be done in the future on our side about this whole thing. It is ridiculous for something like this to be a showstopper.

> yea it is. why do you need this step? i havent seen any other projects use it before, isnt there a different simpler way?

It is needed by the ))EventLogChannel(( which works in conjunction with the Windows event log service. If all else fails, I think you should be able to temporarily work around this by excluding ))EventLog((.cpp and .h files and removing the MC build step. At the time this functionality was introduced (VS 2003), there was no Express edition, so it was not an issue then.

> i hope to be using POCO and will contribute if i come across anything whilst using it.

OK, keep us up to date.

Alex
alex

Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby chrisjones » 05 Feb 2008, 02:59

success!

There must have been something wrong with my installation, i cant think of any other reason. i completely removed everything (anything thats related to VS), installed VC++ again, and checked the folder where MC.exe is meant to be, and it was there. I cant imagine why it wasnt installed before though.

anyway, im building POCO. in the foundation .sln, everything compiles except the TestSuite, i get this error

^WinDriver.cpp
e:gamedevlibrariespococppunitwintestrunnerincludewintestrunnerwintestrunner.h(27) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory^

thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Re: Re: Visual C++ 2008

Postby bird » 05 Feb 2008, 04:12

> ^WinDriver.cpp
> e:gamedevlibrariespococppunitwintestrunnerincludewintestrunnerwintestrunner.h(27) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory^

AFAIK, you can't run the TestSuite on Windows since 'afxwin.h' is part of MFC, which is not included in the Express editions. I use UnitTest++ which is nice and simple and doesn't require MFC

-Steve
bird

PreviousNext

Return to Support