Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Forum issues

Feedback on the POCO Community website.

Forum issues

Postby chrisjones » 05 Feb 2008, 16:54

I'm just wondering if youve thought of moving to a different forum (phpbb etc)? Currently ive only managed to keep up with the one topic i started, and i had to keep looking at the last person to reply to see if anyone had answered. how do you manage to keep up with all of the threads? it doesnt appear to tell you when anythings changed and from what ive noticed it doesnt even put the most recently replied topics on the top?
Its probably because im only used to phpbb but it just seems quite hard to keep track of.

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Forum issues

Postby guenter » 05 Feb 2008, 18:41

Personally, I'd like to move to a different Wiki (MediaWiki), and also to a different Forum software, or get rid of the forums alltogether (after all, wouldn't be the mailing list sufficient?). Tiki is just too big and too buggy (security issues, etc., as well as the current problem with user registrations after upgrading). Problem, as always, is time and resources. Moving all the content to a different Wiki and forum software will probably require a lot of work. Volunteers?
guenter

Re: Re: Forum issues

Postby chrisjones » 05 Feb 2008, 19:08

> Personally, I'd like to move to a different Wiki (MediaWiki), and also to a different Forum software, or get rid of the forums alltogether (after all, wouldn't be the mailing list sufficient?). Tiki is just too big and too buggy (security issues, etc., as well as the current problem with user registrations after upgrading). Problem, as always, is time and resources. Moving all the content to a different Wiki and forum software will probably require a lot of work. Volunteers?

yea, time is always an issue, i never have enough either. We use phpbb3 for our forums and mediaWiki for our wiki, i wouldnt nessesarily recommend mediaWiki but it is quite good to use.
Ive never really used mailing lists, although it looks a bit better to use than this forum, i think that forums like phpbb are much friendlier/easier to use and provide more features.

I might try using the mailing list, see how it goes.

thanks

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Forum issues

Postby rekkai » 02 Mar 2008, 20:41

I second Chris about the usability about this forum. It really could use some changes. The wiki is not too great either.

The main thing I miss knowing about whether someone replied to my posting.

There is a mailing list for Poco? I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I should use that.

A forum is sometimes more useful and more easy to keep track of than a mailing list. But each has its advantages.

If you need help moving the content to a different (and more usable wiki) I volunteer to help. I have run several websites before and can help in anyway you would want to, including installation, setup, moving content to new site etc.

The best way to proceed is to install MediaWiki, PhpBB3 someplace in the site and then I can help move the content over slowly and once we have enough, we simply switch to the new site.

Probably everyone has to reregister, but that may not be too bad.

rekkai

Return to Site Feedback