Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

VxWorks support

A general discussion forum.

VxWorks support

Postby nigelt » 07 Apr 2011, 15:40

We are just starting to see if we can use Poco with VxWorks (in addition to Windows and Linux).
We have taken 1.41.p1 and tried building it and have run into some issues.
I'd be interested in anyone else's experience with VxWorks.

Here are some of the issues we've found so far:
POCO_VXWORKS define is required (easy) but not all files seemed to detect that it was set causing preprocessor issues.
Some files don't have the correct headers for VxWorks-specific sections
Some structures referecned in VxWorks-specific files don;t match the versions in the header files. Example: Environment_VX.cpp - had to change the sa_data struct to sdl_data to get it to compile.

We have not spent a lot of time looking it this, so our initial issues might well be more to do with us than with Poco. The testing I've done on Windows and Linux has all gone very well but we have a requirement to support VxWorks as well before we can adopt Poco.

Regards,

Nigel
nigelt

Re: VxWorks support

Postby nigelt » 07 Apr 2011, 16:03

I forgot to add that we are using VxWorks 6.5
nigelt

Postby guenter » 07 Apr 2011, 17:53

The current VxWorks support is based on VxWorks 5.5.1, and it builds cleanly with Tornado 2.2 and the Diab compiler. Please make sure that you don't compile the source files with names ending in _VX (or _UNIX, etc.). These will be included by other files and are not intended to be compiled themselves.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a VxWorks system other than 5.5.1, so I can't look into any issues with 6.5. However, I'm interested in your findings and experiences - having support for 6.x in addition to 5.5 would be great. My own porting work to 5.5.1 (which has been sponsored by a customer) is currently blocked due to issues with the target hardware and BSP, so the final VxWorks support won't be available before May.
guenter

Postby nigelt » 07 Apr 2011, 19:14

Thanks for the quick response.
We are not in a hurry for this - just evaluating Poco for future use.
If I can find some time, I'll investigate further and report what I find.

Regards,

Nigel
nigelt

Return to General Discussion