Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Visual Studio and MC.exe error

Please post support and help requests here.

Visual Studio and MC.exe error

Postby bird » 16 May 2008, 04:13

I've been running into the "mc is not recognized as an internal or external command" error that's mentioned in the Building Poco FAQ while trying to build Poco/trunk

I took a stab at tracking it down and I think it's really a case of a very misleading error message instead of a path or missing MC.exe problem. I *think* what's really happening is that after the Message Compiler runs, it's deleting the pocomsg.rc and pocomsg.h files from the Foundation/src directory. The next time you try to build, Visual Studio says it can't find MC.exe when it really means it can't find the 2 pocomsg files.

I'm running VC Express 2005.... here's the steps to reproduce:

1. checkout the Poco/trunk
2. build Foundation...any configuration
3. check Foundation/src and see that pocomsg.h and pocomsg.rc are now missing
4. rebuild Foundation and you'll hit the 'mc is not recognized as an internal or external coomand " error message.

If you re-add the 2 files then the build will work again.

HTH,
Steve
bird

Re: Visual Studio and MC.exe error

Postby chrisjones » 16 May 2008, 10:31

i'm fairly certain that i had this problem when i started to use visual studio 2008. i actually tried to find MC.exe in the installation and it didn't exist. IIRC i grabbed a copy of it from the cd, but i uninstalled VS and then installed it again and it was fine then. You could try looking for it on the CD/installer instead and put it next to RC.exe in the VS installation.

This is what happened to me, so i dont know if it is the same problem.

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Visual Studio and MC.exe error

Postby bird » 17 May 2008, 15:01

I guess that's a different problem.

On my machine, MC.exe is included in the Platform SDK that I downloaded when I installed VC 2005 Express. The problem I was having was that I could only build Foundation once. After that I'd get the "mc is not recognized as an internal or external command" .... even though MC.exe is right where it's supposed to be.

-Steve
bird

Return to Support