Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Processor Info and Affinity

Discussion of ideas for features and new projects based on POCO.

Processor Info and Affinity

Postby chrisjones » 08 Jun 2008, 16:13

in OGE, we need to get our main thread (which controls timing) to be forced onto one particular core (high resolution timing problems can occur when threads use different cores depending on the hardware available because core/processor timers arent synchronised).
We also need to get information about the CPU, such as number of physical/logical processors etc

Is it in the scope of Poco to provide a way of retrieving processor information?

Would it be possible to add set/getProcessorAffinity functions to Poco::Thread that allows you to set the affinity per thread (in a similar way that you can set the threads priority).

I can try to help if needed but i dont have any experience with linux or mac programming, and only a little with windows API specifically.

Thanks

Chris
chrisjones

Re: Processor Info and Affinity

Postby alex » 08 Jun 2008, 20:39

> Is it in the scope of Poco to provide a way of retrieving processor information?

Sure.

> Would it be possible to add set/getProcessorAffinity functions to Poco::Thread that allows you to set the affinity per thread (in a similar way that you can set the threads priority).

Yes.

> I can try to help if needed but i dont have any experience with linux or mac programming, and only a little with windows API specifically.

Well, what you can do is submit a [url=http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=132964&atid=725711|patch] if you are providing code or open a http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=132964&atid=725712]feature request[/url if you are not. Someone else may eventually submit patches other platforms. When all platforms are covered and tested, the code can become part of the trunk.

Alex
alex

Re: Processor Info and Affinity

Postby chrisjones » 09 Jun 2008, 11:54

ok thanks, ive submitted a request, but we will probably have to research and contribute this ourselves as we need it.

[edit] changed the word to request instead of patch (not sure why i said patch)
chrisjones

Return to Wishlist