Overview
Features
Download
Documentation
Community
Add-Ons & Services

Building POCO with MSBuild

Please post support and help requests here.

Re: Building POCO with MSBuild

Postby raulgd » 12 Jul 2012, 06:19

Apparently I installed another tool I needed for work that installed for me the MFC libraries.

I confirmed that MFC will only be available on professional editions of MSVC

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowssdk/archive/2007/09/11/sdk-workaround-atl-mfc-sample-dependency.aspx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/8808A472-6450-4723-9C87-977069714B27/ReleaseNotes_Win7_1RTMSDK.htm

Thanks anyway, I guess we'll never be able to be open source with MS
raulgd

Postby alex » 13 Jul 2012, 07:01

I have committed your changes and consolidated the script somewhat. Now it will build projects instead of solutions. In order to prevent building solution, though, you have to remove it from the directory, otherwise the brain dead devenv finds and uses it.

I have many other things to tend to and I was wondering if you would be willing to put in a little bit more work to build Poco without MFC dependency? See one of my previous posts on what needs to be done. It's not a whole lot of work.

The proper solution would be, step by step:

1) split CppUnit and WinTestRunner into separate solutions (although this is easier and not critical now because, if you remove CppUnit.sln, only CppUnit.vcproj project will be built)
2) remove WinTestRunner link dependency from all testsuites VS configurations (this is simple - a find/replace on all TestSuite.vcproj files in any text editor)
3) put WinTestRunner dependency in code with #ifdef and #pragma comment (see e.g Foundation.h for an example how to do this)
4) #ifdef code in all project testsuites to use WinTestRunner or just command line Driver as described in my post

?

EDIT: Two more things would be required here:

5) General -> Use of MFC -> Use Standard Windows Libraries (instead of Use MFC in a Shared DLL)
6) Linker -> System -> Console (/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE) (instead of Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS))
alex

Postby raulgd » 24 Jul 2012, 00:05

Ok, I'll start reviewing the changes, but I dunno what I would be able to achieve, as I come from C++/Qt instead of actual windows development.

I'll let you know how I go, I'm also a bit swamped on work so I'll be a little slow on things.

Also, why did you choose to build per project instead of per solution like my script? Did building per solution caused problems?
And, if we are already building with MSBuild, and MSVC 20xx come with MSBuild integrated, don't you think that devenv and vcexpress could maybe be dropped? that would simplify and ease CLI building, and if someone wants to build with their VCExpress or MSVC pro and not from the CLI, they could open the solutions with their IDEs as well.

Thanks
raulgd

Postby alex » 24 Jul 2012, 01:22

Building per project allows more freedom of choice - I have added (no)tests option to the script. As stated in the mailing list:

poco-develop wrote:1) Split CppUnit and WinTestRunner into separate solutions
2) Remove WinTestRunner link dependency from all testsuites VS configurations and move it to code with #pragma comment in WinTestRunner.h
3) #ifdef code in all project testsuites to use WinTestRunner or just command line Driver as described in my post
4) Change General -> Use of MFC -> Use Standard Windows Libraries (instead of Use MFC in a Shared DLL) in TestSuite.vcproj
5) Change Linker -> System -> Console (/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE) (instead of Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS)) in TestSuite.vcproj

I'd also like to keep VCExpress because it'll be asked for, no doubt. Let us know if/when you start doing anything because someone may get to it before you so we don't double up the work.
alex

Postby raulgd » 24 Jul 2012, 01:32

If you think that somebody else might work on it before me then, by all means

I'd love to help out but I'm swamped at work so, if someone else can do it faster, It will be a lot better for the project.

And remember that I'm new at using the windows tools and on windows programming, so someone more experienced will most probably do a better job than myself.

But, if there's no volunteers then, I'll give it a shot, is a good learning experience.
raulgd

Postby alex » 24 Jul 2012, 01:44

In all likelihood, I'll be the volunteer. If anything changes or I get to start working on it, I'll let you know here. You can also contact me via email at(alex, dot(pocoproject, org)).
alex

Previous

Return to Support